Saturday, March 3, 2012

Twice is nice!

Saturday, March 3rd was a jam packed day for the Messers.

We started off our day by eating lunch with Deacon Gerke from St. Clement Church.
Why were we meeting with Deacon Gerke you ask?

Two years ago, Keith and I were married at Immanuel United Church of Christ in St.Bernard.

There were many reasons that we chose this church.
First, many of my family members have been married in this church.
It is ABSOLUTELY beautiful and feels like home to me.
The church has wonderful people working in it,
and I would not change getting married here for anything!

The Catholic church that my family and I attend is not located in an excellent area of Cincinnati,
so it wasn't ideal for our guests to be traveling to this part of downtown.
It also does not have air conditioning, and on June 19th, 2010, the temperatures had reached their highest up until that point.  I can remember the day of the wedding my Opa looking at me and saying (as he's wiping sweat from his face), "It's a good thing you didn't get married at St. Mary's!"

Finally, I was raised Catholic and Keith was not.  
At the time of our wedding, I did not think it would bother me not being married in a Catholic church.
We still planned on having our children raised in the Catholic church,
so what did it matter if we were not married in a Catholic church?

Well, it didn't bother me.... until lately.
Again, I will say, I would NOT change anything about my wedding day.
It was everything I dreamed it would be 
(minus my flower situation--but that's for another post!).
It was absolutely perfectly for me!


However, Keith and I have been talking about our futures a lot lately,
and I started to think that our children will not have one parent receiving communion in church when they are growing up.  I believe that the rites of passage are important: First Communion, Confirmation, etc. and I want to be there with my children every step of the way.
So one day I asked Keith, "What do you think about getting married in a Catholic church?"
Being the wonderful, amazing husband I know and love, he said,
"Whatever you want."  :)

So that brings me back to Saturday, March 3, 2012.
We met Deacon Gerke for lunch at Sugar 'N Spice.

Keith and I literally live down the street from this restaurant, and have never eaten here before.
Wow! Have we been missing out!
It was absolutely delicious!
Another best kept secret in Cincinnati--for sure!

During lunch, we discussed the possibility of having our marriage recognized in the Catholic church.
Deacon Gerke said that since Keith and I have never been married and divorced previously,
all we need to do is meet with him and his wife a few times,
and have our ceremony.
So here we are--saving the date--AGAIN!

June 19, 2012 we will be married in front of our immediate family,
and will be having a cookout at our house afterwards with family, our bridal party, and close friends.

I am excited to once again be planning a wedding!
Twice IS nice!

To celebrate, Keith and I went to Dairy Queen.
Our Dairy Queen is only open March-October and it's opening is an event that I look forward to every year.
Here I am enjoying my first delectable bite of a Medium Heath Blizzard with extra Heath.

It was over our ice creams that I asked Keith to marry me
(I thought it was only polite since he asked the first time).
He said, "Yes."

Next up on our agenda: Benjamin's 1st birthday party!
Stayed tuned....

No comments:

Post a Comment