Sunday, February 12, 2012

Personal best: 12 miles!

Today, Nicole and I went to the gym around 10:30 for our 12 mile run.
We love to run outside, but with the temperature at 10:30 only at 13 degrees,
we figured we were better off running in the gym.

15 minutes before we went, we drank Gatorade Prime.
type=text

I have tried the Orange flavor, but it reminded me of Metamucil and couldn't down much of it.
I have recently found a love for the Berry and Fruit Punch flavors.

As we were heading up the stairs to our treadmills, we both looked at each other and said,
"I'm a little scared!"
We have never run 12 miles before and anticipated aches, pains, and whining.

I have to admit, this run wasn't so bad!
It's funny how some of the smaller runs were worse than this run!
After 5 miles, we decided to take our first energy gel.
I tried the Strawberry Banana and Nicole had Cherry.
After trying to swallow it, I thought,
"How do people do this?"
It definitely wasn't my cup of tea, but I needed the carbs and energy to continue for 7 more miles.

After our next 5 miles, we tried Gu Chomps.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these!
They were just like fruit snacks and tasted MUCH better than the gel.
The energy is also supposed to last 1.5- 2 hours, where the gel only lasts an hour.
I think I have found my new running companion!

We finished our 12 miles in 2 hours and 18 minutes.
Not the fastest time around, but our goal for the Pig is just to be able to finish it.
We are not really worrying about our time this time, but
maybe for our next race we will. ;)

Congrats on our best run yet!

1 comment:

  1. I'M SO PROUD OF YOU!!!! Thanks for sharing about your pre and during run fuel plan. I definitely need to up my preparation. Were can do this!!

    ReplyDelete