Tuesday, July 16, 2013

What I Like Most About My Classroom...

...is whom I share it with.

I feel like teaching used to be a job that was
respected and supported by families, communities, lawmakers, etc.
These days, it's rough being a teacher.
Parents blame you.
Lawmakers work against you.
It feels like sometimes you are fighting a losing battle.

However, there are those moments with my students that make me forget
all about the outside world and just focus on "us."
Whether it's a student learning something new that was once
challenging for them,
saying that they don't want to go home at the end of the day,
or just saying "thank you" makes it all worth it.

Today was one of those days for me.

"But, it's summer?!" you say.

Over the years I have been able to keep
in close contact with some of my students and their
families.

One of these students is Bella.
I taught Bella this past year and feel
so happy that she has begged her mom to see me over the summer.
I love teaching 2nd grade because it's still the 
cool thing to hang out with your teacher. ;)

Today, Bella and I grabbed some lunch
at Larosa's and then made a trip to Graeter's.


 They made hers super cute with googly eyes!
It was such a nice day that Bella and I ate our
ice cream outside and chatted about
her summer spent at Kings Island and swimming, 
and we also chatted about how excited she was 
to start back to school in August
(another perk of teaching 2nd grade--they still love school!).


Later on that evening, I went on another ice cream trip
(Woah--twice in one day! That's what summer's all about right?!).
This time I went with my beloved Chinchilla family.

Karina, Julisa, Isaiah
Last week, I had received an email from their 
wonderful mom, Karen,
telling me that they were moving at the end of July
to Texas.
Karen's husband has family there so it would be 
great for the kids to be closer to family.
As much as I was excited for their new journey,
I was also very, very sad.
I taught Isaiah 3 years ago, Karina this past school year,
and was looking forward to teaching Julisa in a few years.
This truly is one of the most loving, supportive families
I have ever met.
As we ate ice cream, the kids told me about how
they are so excited to see their cousins and live
near a beach.

After ice cream, we decided to have a quick photo shoot.
(Pardon how sweaty I look--it got hot in the evening!)



  As I hugged the kiddos goodbye,
I tried not to cry
(Thank goodness for sunglasses!).
I feel that this is one of the hardest parts of teaching,
you may possibly never see the fruits of your labor.
A construction worker sees the building they've created,
a doctor sees a patient get well,
but a teacher may never see his/her students grow up
and make amazing citizens in this world.

As I left, Karen gave me a present from the family,
but told me that I may not want to open it until I got home.
Wow, was she right.
I opened it when I got home and CRIED like a baby!

Inside were these:

A magnet of the family

A thoughtful card from Karen

A note from Karina

A picture from Julisa

A letter from Isaiah

I wish the Chinchillas the best of luck on their new adventure 
in Texas.
Until our paths meet again....

2 comments:

  1. Loved this post! I teach 3rd grade and I agree, the students are what makes this job so awesome. I have been teaching since 2006 and I have kept every single letter or card a student or a parent has written me in a box. The other day I was feeling stressed out (common core standards aaaah) and I went through the box and read all the letters. Made me truly thankful for what I do. Again, what a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love teaching stories like these, you are AWESOME. Do you see that rainbow picture, it is a sign. Never give up hope!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete